New Eye Enhancement Contact Lenses Accentuate the Eye’s Natural Beauty
Friday, May 1 2015 | 00 h 00 min | Press Release
Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc. (JJVCI), has announced the launch of 1-DAY ACUVUE® DEFINE® Brand Contact Lenses with LACREON® Technology, a new category of eye enhancement contact lenses that accentuate natural beauty while helping to support a healthy eye. The innovative brand, already the number-one beauty contact lens in Asia, is now widely available to Eye Care Professionals’ practices in Canada and the U.S.
1-DAY ACUVUE® DEFINE® addresses a significant unmet need for natural-looking eye enhancement: the 2013 Gallup Study of the U.S. Consumer Contact Lens Market showed that one in three vision corrected teens/adults (32%) express a strong interest in purchasing a contact lens that enhances the natural beauty of their eyes. 1-DAY ACUVUE® DEFINE® Brand has sophisticated iris-inspired designs that combine an outer darker limbal ring – to give eyes greater definition by creating contrast between the iris and sclera – and an inner translucent light-effects pattern – to add depth and definition without changing the eye’s natural color. Independent research shows that people are more attracted to women and men with pronounced limbal rings, as limbal rings are associated with a healthy and youthful appearance. Interviews with over 40,000 women informed the design of the lens.
1-DAY ACUVUE® DEFINE® Brand will be available in plano and vision correction ranges from +1.00 to -9.00 with a base curve of 8.5 and diameter 14.2mm and is being introduced in five styles to complement all eye colors:
- 1-DAY ACUVUE® DEFINE® Brand Contact Lenses NATURAL SPARKLE™
- 1-DAY ACUVUE® DEFINE® Brand Contact Lenses NATURAL SHIMMER™
- 1-DAY ACUVUE® DEFINE® Brand Contact Lenses NATURAL SHINE™
- 1-DAY ACUVUE® DEFINE® Brand Contact Lenses VIVID STYLE
- 1-DAY ACUVUE® DEFINE® Brand Contact Lenses ACCENT STYLE
“1-DAY ACUVUE® DEFINE® provides personalized eye enhancement that uniquely interacts with each iris pattern,” explains Millicent Knight, OD, Head of Professional Affairs, JJVCI, U.S. “It is not a coloured contact lens,” she adds. “Coloured contact lenses usually have opaque and pixelated, patterns that mask the natural beauty of the eye. 1-DAY ACUVUE DEFINE® offers subtle, natural-looking enhancement that allows the beauty of the eye to shine through.” 1-DAY ACUVUE® DEFINE® Brand also uses proprietary BEAUTY WRAPPED IN COMFORT® Technology that fully encloses the pattern within the ultrathin lens material of 1-DAY ACUVUE® MOIST Brand Contact Lenses, ensuring that the design pigments are not in contact with the surface of the eye or the eyelid.
The performance of 1-DAY ACUVUE® DEFINE® is similar to the 1-DAY ACUVUE® MOIST Brand, the #1 selling daily disposable lens in the world, on comfort, health and vision parameters.** “1-DAY ACUVUE® MOIST has a proven reputation for delivering long-lasting comfort, vision, and other great benefits of a daily disposable lens, and it blocks approximately 81 percent of UV-A radiation and 97 percent of UV-B radiation+*,” says Dr. Knight. “1-DAY ACUVUE® DEFINE® combines the trusted performance of 1-DAY ACUVUE® MOIST with a natural-looking beauty benefit that will appeal to a broad base of patients for everyday wear.”
JJVCI INTRODUCES A NEW INNOVATION IN BEAUTY/2
ACUVUE® Brand Contact Lenses are indicated for vision correction. As with any contact lens, eye problems, including corneal ulcers, can develop. Some wearers may experience mild irritation, itching or discomfort. Lenses should not be prescribed if patients have any eye infection, or experience eye discomfort, excessive tearing, vision changes, redness or other eye problems. Consult the package insert for complete information. Complete information is also available from Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Division of Johnson & Johnson, Inc., by calling 1-800-267-5098 or by visiting www.acuvueprofessional.ca.
† Helps protect against transmission of harmful UV radiation to the cornea and into the eye.
* WARNING: UV-absorbing contact lenses are NOT substitutes for protective UV-absorbing eyewear such as UV-absorbing goggles or sunglasses because they do not completely cover the eye and surrounding area. You should continue to use UV-absorbing eyewear as directed. NOTE: Long term exposure to UV radiation is one of the risk factors associated with cataracts. Exposure is based on a number of factors such as environmental conditions (altitude, geography, cloud cover) and personal factors (extent and nature of outdoor activities). UV-Blocking contact lenses help provide protection against harmful UV radiation. However, clinical studies have not been done to demonstrate that wearing UV-Blocking contact lenses reduces the risk of developing cataracts or other eye disorders. Consult your eye care practitioner for more information.
**Some patients may notice a small difference in subjective vision performance, particularly in low-lighting conditions.
1-DAY ACUVUE® DEFINE®, NATURAL SPARKLE™, NATURAL SHIMMER™, NATURAL SHINE™, 1-DAY ACUVUE® MOIST, LACREON®, and BEAUTY WRAPPED IN COMFORT® are trademarks of Johnson & Johnson, Inc.
 The 2013 Gallup Study of the U.S. Consumer Contact Lens Market. Q12a: How interested would you be in purchasing a contact lens that enhances the natural beauty of your eyes? Adults responding “extremely” or “very.”
 Peshek, Semmaknejad, Hoffman and Foley. “Preliminary Evidence that the LimbalRing Influences Facial Attractiveness.” Evolutionary Psychology. www.epjournal.net. 2011. 9(2): 137-146.