Alcon Canada Launches TOTAL30 Multifocal Contact Lenses for Reusable Lens Patients with Presbyopia
Thursday, February 1 2024 | 09 h 30 min | News
- The first and only monthly Water Gradient multifocal contact lens that feels like nothing – even at day 301
- Provides excellent visual acuity at all distances, near through far, with Alcon’s proven Precision Profile design that fits in two easy steps, delivering 96% fit success2-4
- New TOTAL30 Multifocal contact lenses will help address the vision and comfort needs of the global multifocal market, which is growing faster than the overall contact lens category5
Alcon today announced the launch of TOTAL30® Multifocal in Canada, the first and only monthly Water Gradient multifocal contact lens that feels like nothing – even at day 30.1
Presbyopia is the gradual decline of the eye’s ability to focus on nearby objects, causing them to appear blurry and out of focus.6 Nearly everyone experiences presbyopia; it is a natural part of aging with most people developing symptoms by their early to mid-40s.6
Many lens wearers stop wearing contact lenses after age 40 due to lens dryness, discomfort and visual acuity issues and often begin wearing bifocals or reading glasses.7 Patients are also on their digital devices more than ever, leading to digital device dryness.8 The new TOTAL30 Multifocal lens helps outsmart digital device dryness by utilizing a proprietary Water Gradient Technology to deliver nearly 100% water at the surface of the lens.9-10
With the introduction of TOTAL30 Multifocal, Alcon continues to launch innovations in fast-growing markets. Data indicate that the multifocal contact lens market is valued over $1 billion globally and growing double digit annually—more rapidly than the contact lens category as a whole.5 With the prevalence of presbyopia reaching 80% by age 45-55,and an increasingly aging population, the category is expected to be poised for continued growth.11 Alcon’s TOTAL30 Multifocal lenses are uniquely positioned within this market, offering Alcon’s premium Water Gradient innovation at an accessible price point of monthly replacement lenses.
“Building on the innovation of DAILIES TOTAL1® Multifocal, the #1 selling Daily Multifocal design in Canada*, TOTAL30 Multifocal will now offer TOTAL comfort and seamless vision at all distances to presbyopic patients who prefer reusable lenses,” said Vanessa Johari Hansen, Country Business Unit Head, Vision Care.1 “With an easy-to-fit design and proven fit success rate, TOTAL30 Multifocal is a win-win for both patients and Eye Care Professionals.”2-4,12
The lens utilizes PRECISION PROFILE® multifocal optical design allowing lens wearers to experience clear, uninterrupted vision at all distances, near through far.12 This is the same optical design found in DAILIES TOTAL1 Multifocal. Data shows that TOTAL30 Multifocal contact lenses are as easy to fit as DAILIES TOTAL1 Multifocal contact lenses.4** In addition, 96% of patients were successfully fit in Alcon Multifocal contact lenses with two simple steps.2-4†
TOTAL30Multifocal is the third contact lens and latest addition to the TOTAL30 product family. TOTAL30 portfolio also includes TOTAL30 Sphere lenses and TOTAL30 for Astigmatism.
Visit www.myalcon.ca to discover how TOTAL30 Multifocal contact lenses can serve eye care practices and patients with presbyopia.
*Based on daily disposable multifocal contact lens dollar share
**At the initial fitting visit
† With 2 lenses or less per eye, at initial fitting visit
- In a clinical study wherein patients used AOSEPT® solution for nightly cleaning, disinfecting, and storing; Alcon data on file, 2021.
- Merchea M, Evans D, Kannarr S, Miller J, Kaplan M, Nixon L. Assessing a modified fitting approach for improved multifocal contact lens fitting success. Paper presented at Optometry’s Meeting, the 121st Congress of the American Optometric Association; June 20-24, 2018; Denver, CO.
- Bauman E, Lemp J, Kern J. Material effect on multifocal contact lens fitting of lenses of the same optical design with the same fitting guide. Poster presented at: British Contact Lens Association Clinical Conference & Exhibition; June 9-11, 2017; Liverpool, UK.
- Alcon data on file, 2022.
- Internal estimate based on 3rd party data. Capital Markets Day. Slide 57.
- Presbyopia. Mayo Clinic. November 20, 2021. Accessed September 5, 2023. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/presbyopia/symptoms-causes/syc-20363328.
- Markoulli M, Kolanu S. Contact lens wear and dry eyes: Challenges and solutions. Clinical Optometry. 2017; Volume 9:41-48. doi:10.2147/opto.s111130.
- Al-Mohtaseb Z. The Relationship Between Dry Eye Disease and Digital Screen Use. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8439964. Accessed September 18, 2023.
- In vitro analysis of lens oxygen permeability, water content, and surface imaging; Alcon data on file, 2021
- In vitro analysis of lehfilcon A contact lenses outermost surface softness and correlation with water content; Alcon data on file, 2021.
- The Prevalence and Demographic Associations of Presenting Near-Vision Impairment Among Adults Living in the United States; American Journal of Ophthalmology VOLUME 174, P134-144, FEBRUARY 2017.
- Baker K, Merchea M. Impact of pupil diameter on multifocal contact lens vision. Poster presented at American Academy of Optometry Annual Conference, November 9, 2018. San Antonio, Texas.
Want to see more like this article? Click here to subscribe to our FREE print magazines and e-newsletters!